Wednesday, 20 July 2011
So with weeks of speculation and many dates chosen, apple has chosen to change the days of its updates from friday to wednesday and of coarse has updated the new macbook airs which are to replace the old macbook.
So whats new?
- well for a start the new macbook airs have gotten a feature that many of us users love the backlight keyboard yes its back. It may not be the biggest or best feature but is one that is noticed the most when gone.
- Next up we have the most impressive thing, but the thing with the least use, yes the thunderbolt port.
- Another feature that we have is the new sandy bridge processors with intel core i5 and i7 these macbook airs will be a blast.
- And the last thing that i would like to add is that these airs seem to have abolished the original macbook.
So today apple released the new mac os x lion avalabile only as download from the mac app store for £20.99.
- So what's new?
- Well to start with one of the biggest features of lion is that there is no virtual copy of the it. Yep thats right it is available as a download only, from the mac app store for £20.00 in the uk.
- Second of all it has all new multi touch gestures such as 3 finger swipes for mission control and to change between spaces and full screen apps, two finger scrolling and many more.
- Third of all the amazing full screen apps, this is so that you can get everything out of the way and concentrate on you work.
- Fourth of all mission control its a mix between expose, spaces, it gathers everything thats open and puts it all in one
- Next the mac app store, like the app store for iphone only this time its for the mac.
- Then we have launch pad, one of the many features that apple took from ios to make lion os more simple. Well launch pad is where you go to get all of your applications on your computer. No more need to scrummage through folders and folders to find a program it will all be there in launch pad.
- Resume, auto save, and versions. with resume you can start a app or program right from where left off even after a update, so when your mac turns on you don't need to do anything just get back straight to work,with auto save, your work gets saved with out you having to worry so much so that apple doesn't even have a save button, and lastly versions so that if you don't like the way something looks just go back to the previous version of that file.
- These are just some of the new features in lion got to the apple site for more.
Sunday, 17 July 2011
Saturday, 16 July 2011
So with it having been gone July 14th and 15th rumors are starting to come up with new release dates for the Macbook Airs and Mac os X.
Friday 22nd July being the new release date sounds pleasing and believable. why? you may ask, well:
If you have a look at apples history for releasing new operating systems it tends to release them near the end of the month and on a Friday.
- Snow Leopard 10.6 released August 28th Friday 2009
- Leopard 10.5 released October 26th Friday 2007
- Tiger 10.4 released April 29th Friday 2005
- and finally Panther October 24th Friday 2003
Well if you think about the fact the the two have been marketed together anybody would think that they are being release together. Have a look on apple's site, you will see that when you go onto the lion page you will find that lion is on a macbook air. Now this could all be not true but i have a feeling its is true. All that would not only make the lion release amazing it would probably boost air sales as well.
What will the new Macbook airs feature.
Well in my opinion i think that it will feature new sandy bridge processors but so is the whole web so take it with a pinch of salt, after all nobody expected the current macbook airs to come with intel core 2 duo. And with 9to5mac rumoring that the new airs will have sandy bridge processors all we can do is hope.
Next on my list is a definite and that is the thunderbolt port, with apples new imac and macbook pros having thunderbolt ports we can expect them in the new airs for sure.
Finally on the list a 128GB or 256GB standard configuration and 4GB of ram.
But for apple to do all of this might not be enough after all Samsung, Sony and Hp all have planned to release macbook air competitors.
With the new rumored date for the release is July the 22 which is next week friday and with apple only stating that lion and only lion will be released in july and no word on the airs all we can do is wait.
Friday, 15 July 2011
So today i was walking around talking to people and got into a conversation about what i want to be when im older and so here it all started, this girl at school said "so what do you want to be when your older" i replyed "an architect." And as you know it the person had no clue what i was on about, and asked, "why i would want to dig up fossils for life." I choose to correct her on her general knowledge and told her what an architect is.
For those of you who don't knpw what an architect is i will explain in short form, an architect is a person who designs buildings and there structure how the building will be built and where all sockets plugs and switches will go etc. An architect also oversees the build of the building or piece of work that they have designed.
So why is architecture so important?
Well for a start if it wasn't for architects we wouldn't have any buildings that we have know none not even the pyramids in egypt as they to were designed by someone. Architecture is everywhere we look, literally, the paths we walk on, the roads we drive on, and even the parks we hang out in. Architecture affects everybodys lives but yet nobody admires it, nobody cares that someone has spent months and months, drawing, making models, drawing again, sketching, and finally, overseeing that the job gets done well and correctly so that you could use the area you live in. If it wasn't for architects well then the earth would be a giant ball of mud and clay.
Moving on to my next point. Architecture is an art. Think about it from a white piece of paper to a whole building. It is like sculpting the surroundings we live in. A amazing example of sculpture like architecture is the Walt Disney concert hall by Frank Gehry. It not only makes you think about how its constructed it starts debate. Its like a block of aluminum carved away at by a sculptor and placed in the middle of a town. Most great and iconic pieces of architecture are like sculptures just standing there to be admired. When you start to think about how most iconic designed buildings are built you realize that they are usually not practical in any way for them to be used well and efficiently but that is because they are not meant to be, they are meant to be admired, looked at, and used as a piece of art. As a landmark. I mean look at City Hall in london it would have probably been able to accommodate far more people for the land that it sits on if it was just a plain cuboid. and what if it didn't have those large panes of windows what if it had small windows to save money, it would not have turned out a pain typical building.
But what about architects who just design little houses for a firm?
Well they are still changing the surrounding but on a much smaller scale. Sure if they design a typical three up two down house that is in a shape of a box, they wont have changed our life a huge deal but you will have changed one persons life and that is the person who will be living in that house. If they design it well the house will work and the client will be happy, but unlike with commercial architects or projects on large scale they are designing for a need and purpose, so for that reason they need to put practicality before design if thats what your client wants. Also just because they are designing a house does not mean that the house has to look like other houses. If architects would have been to scared to change the materials our houses are made from or the construction method used, then we would would still be living in a few planks of wood nailed together. But they experimented and now we can even erect a whole house in less than a month thanks to there hard work.
So there you have it. the main reason in my opinion why architecture is so important in our lives.